Song Du Jour:
Pachelbel | Canon in D

Muzicons.com

01 July 2013

Humbled

“It’s humbling, to become the very thing you once mocked.” ~ Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
When I was much younger, I used to be impressed with myself.

By the age of thirty, I managed to buy and own two houses, a nice, brand new car, and I had money in the bank.  I was young, single, and carefree, and I spent much of my spare time traveling to Europe on a whim.  It was not unusual for me to decide on a Thursday evening that I would spend the weekend in London, Rome, or Paris, and I was proud of the fact that I could do so whenever the urge hit me.

If I became tired of a car, I would give my car away to younger relatives, and buy whatever new car struck my fancy.

Fast forward to the present.  

After the tragic loss of the death of my sister, a destructive and unhappy marriage, several unaccomplished goals, single parenthood, and thirteen years later, my life is much different.

These days, I rent a one bedroom apartment with my six-year old daughter in an apartment building above a corner grocery store and deli shop.  I don't own a car and have to walk or rely on public transportation.  I have some savings in the bank, but not enough to comfortably spend on lavish material whims.  I worry about the stability of my job and my future earning potential in an ever-downsizing legal field.

Thirteen years ago, I never would have thought I would be in the financial situation where I am now.  I used to think very little of the people who were in situations similar to my own now, and I remember thinking, "Geez, what the hell did they do to get to where they are now?"  I would shake my head and think to myself, "That will never be me."

I thought about this the other day when I got excited about buying my friend's 2000 Honda Accord.  It is a thirteen year old four door sedan with chipping paint.  There is a dent in the front driver-side bumper.  But it still runs well and the air conditioning works.  It has leather interior and a CD player.  

She is practically giving the car away to me by selling it to me at a fraction of what the car is worth.

And I am ecstatic beyond words.  

I will finally have a car again after being without one for so long.

In another lifetime of mine, I would never have looked twice at this car.  I would have thought that I was too good for this car.

Funny how life works.  

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 am

    Hey Nova. You often depress me with your pessimistic writing (you know it is) and I must confess I was getting semi-depressed reading this one too, but I am glad you ended it in such a happy-ending tone. "Με Γειά" the new "new" car and be careful of cans and ginggers. Always thinking about you&yours with love, care and good thoughts.

    You know who that is...........The legendary, one and only Yahoo Answers war-hero :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ευχαριστώ, Θεόδωρος!

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Mainly because I can relate so much. it wasn't until I got knee-deep into my field that I've gotten "beatings" that totally destroyed my judgmental views and also my annoying smugness about everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nova, you had quite a life back then. Do you miss it? Or, at least, parts of it. You know how people can get used to material comforts. Because, you know, they're just soooo comfortable. =)

    How was your friend's birthday? Did you dance like it was 1993 all over again????

    I'm every woman, show me love. You give me fever, dreamlover come rescue me ...

    I hope it was happy, and carefree. =) I hope we do get to meet someday. Do you ever visit the Philippines? =)

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, for some reason as I get older the less money I have in my savings. It's quite depressing actually... but look at it on the bright side, we have good health for now anyways. Life sure is strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear a new chapter is opening up, one where your independence is growing once more.
    Stay safe and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From where I'm sitting, way up here in the nose bleed section, the material stuff seems to have thinned a little, but it looks like you're life is way more richer.

    ReplyDelete

Share your grind!